The House

Le Couvent was built in 1837 as a convent school for the education of 'jeunes filles', some of whom boarded at the school, others living or lodging in the village. It remained as a convent school until 1912 after which it became a second home for the same French family until the 1990s. It is now fully restored from a neglected state and stands handsomely on the outer edge of the village of St Martin de Vers.

The Village

The beautiful village of St Martin de Vers, established in the 1400s, was once a stop-over on the Pilgrim route to Santiago de Compostela. The village is in the valley of the River Vers which winds between the houses and the meadows. The nearest boulangerie for morning croissants is a 6-minute drive away at Lauzès, or a little further at Labastide Murat, which also has a supermarket, all amenities and a fortnightly market of local produce. Mobile food shops, including the baker, supply the village regularly announcing their arrival with a vigorous display of horn tooting.